- What does this Policy Cover?
- sets out the principles 3M follows when collecting, using and storing Personal information; and
- describes other important topics relating to an individual’s privacy.
By purchasing goods from 3M, communicating with 3M through email, by telephone, in writing or by using any of 3M’s other services, including the 3M website, you agree to the use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
- Collection Use and Storage of Information
The type of personal information that 3M may collect from individuals will depend upon the particular transaction and the dealing. Normally the personal information collected by 3M may include an individual’s:
- name, title, address;
- telephone number;
- email address and online passwords;
- records of communications with 3M;
- credit card or debit card information;
- website usage information.
Personal information will, generally, only be used for the primary purposes of:
- conducting, improving, maintaining and developing a business relationship.
- processing, servicing or enforcing transactions and sending related communications;
- responding to individual’s queries;
- marketing such as providing individuals with information about our products and promotional notices and offers); and
- improving the 3M’s website.
3M takes reasonable steps to ensure the individual is aware of:
- the likely use of the information;
- the right of access to the information;
- the identity and contact details of the organisation;
- any law requiring collection of the information; and
- the main consequences of failure to provide the information.
- How 3M will use and disclose your Personal information?
3M discloses personal information:
- for the primary purpose for which it was collected; or
- where the individual would reasonably expect this; or
- where the individual has consented; or
- for direct marketing by 3M but giving individuals the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing. 3M includes its contact details in any direct marketing.
3M does not disclose your personal information for any secondary purposes unless your consent has been given or as required by law.
3M will not sell or license any personal information that it collects from an individual.
There may be other situations where we may collect and use personal information, which are outside a person’s reasonable expectation. When this occurs, 3M is committed to providing the individual with an explanation for the possible use of the personal information.
- Accuracy and Correction of Personal information
3M takes steps to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date by updating its records whenever changes to information come to its attention. 3M disregards information which seems likely to be inaccurate or out of date by reason of the time which has elapsed since it was collected or by reason of any other information in its possession.
If an individual has submitted personal information to 3M electronically or otherwise, and would like it corrected, then a then a written request should be sent by email to the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below.
3M will use reasonable endeavors to comply with an individual’s request to correct their personal information.
If 3M disagrees with any request to correct an individuals personal information, and the individual request that 3m include in the record of their personal information a statement that they have a contrary view, 3M will use reasonable steps to do so.
- Using our Website
As with most websites, when you visit the 3M website or use an application on the 3M website, 3M may record anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring URL, pages accessed and documents downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
3M also uses “cookies”. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires. Cookies may collect and store your personal information. You may adjust your internet browser to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled you may still use the 3M website 3M, but may be limited in the use of some of the features.
- Security of your Personal Information
3M will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is securely stored.
3M protects personal information from misuse or loss by restricting access to the information in electronic format and by appropriate physical and communications security.
Any data destroyed is disposed of in a manner that protects the privacy of information in an appropriate manner.
- Dealing with Unsolicited Information
3M takes all reasonable steps to ensure that all unsolicited information is destroyed immediately.
- Access to Personal Information
3M acknowledges that individuals have a general right of access to information concerning them.
If an individual wishes to view their Personal information held by 3M, then that person needs to send a written request by email to the Privacy Officer at email@example.com or to the address as detailed below. 3M will handle such requests in accordance with the Privacy Act.
- Anonymity when dealing with 3M
3M allows individuals the option not to identify themselves when dealing with it, where practicable.
- Cross Border Disclosure
Any personal information provided to 3M may be transferred to, stored by or disclosed to an overseas recipient. For example, 3M may use a server hosted overseas to store data, which may include your personal information.
Your personal information may also be processed by employees or by other third parties operating outside of Australia in countries including the United States of America, who work for 3M, or by the representatives and employees of 3M’s parent company.
3M will take reasonable steps, in the circumstances, before your personal information is disclosed to an overseas recipient, to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach privacy laws in relation to your personal information (‘the Required Steps’).
The Required Steps do not apply if you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient. By supplying your personal information to 3M, you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient and agree that the Required Steps do not apply.
If you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient, the overseas recipient will not be accountable under the Privacy Act, and you will not be able to seek redress for breaches under the Privacy Act.
- Sensitive Information
- Other Important Information
- Further Information
3M Australia Pty Ltd
Building A, 1 Rivett Road
North Ryde NSW 2113
Updated 7 January 2014